Wednesday, August 27, 2008

History Book Green Chile Stew

"Green chile stew recipes are carefully guarded secrets among New Mexican families. Everyone has their own favorite version of this popular stew. This is my best green chile stew recipe. It is rich in flavor and makes a nourishing main dish." Taken from the book 'Real New Mexican Chile' An insiders guide to cooking with chile.

8 ounces stew meat (lean pork - diced) browned with flour and oil
1 large baking potato - diced
1 can tomato sauce (or 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato)
1/2 cup chopped roasted green chile
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red chile powder
1 quart chicken stock
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Once meat is browned, add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer over medium / low heat until meat is very tender (about 4 hours). Serve with flour tortillas and beans. Enjoy!

(When I first made this recipe, I felt like I was eating traditional green chile stew brought from the spanish families at church potlucks! I would have never thought chicken broth was in the recipe!!)
Simmer the stew for 4 hours.
Ready for tasting! Yum

3 comments:

Michael Becerra said...

Wow! That Green Chile Stew looks incredibly delicious. Good Job Sister Sue!

Julie said...

That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing. I think I will give it a try. With football season making life crazy, it is hard to find a time for dinner. I am going to try making more things that can be left in a pot and eaten whenever convenient. Thanks!!!

Joyce Becerra said...

I tried the receipe and it was very good! Thanks baby doll.
Love MOM