Monday, February 16, 2009

All because I asked

Recently, I saw a friends pictures of her and her families holiday together. In some of the pictures, they were taking turns shooting at targets. I thought "what a great time!"

One day as we were headed to the boys basketball games and thinking about what we could do later, (being tired of spending the afternoons painting and repainting) I spat out "I want to shoot a gun."

My thinking was....what do boys love to do??? Guns! Hunting! I told Dan I wanted to shoot at targets with the boys. So that got us to thinking and we decided to get a skeet shooter and give it a try!!

There are a couple of things that don't make this an easy sport.
1. You can't shoot a gun in your backyard at targets. This would get the neighbors talking.
2. Guns kill. (I didn't think about this one until Dan had already purchased the gun.
I nearly lost my nerve and secretly wanted him to take that gun back. Someone might get hurt!!)

To solve problem #1 - we used Dan's family land in Big Spring TX (about 1 hour away). We love going out there anyway, so now all we needed was a good day. We decided to go Sunday after church.
Dan is such a good teacher. He worked with me until I was able to actually hit the target! He has the patience of Job!! Thank you Dan! Y

Dan made me learn how to load the gun and everything! He is relentless!!! But in the end, I'm glad to know how to use it.
Dan got first shot. He was dying to shoot it!!!

We all got to shoot it, I just didn't get any of Drew. The boys were happy running around and climbing the fence and happy to let me and Dan play.

I even got "Good shot Mom!" from the boys! That felt great!

Dan is loading the skeet shooter. That was very fun! Dan and Drew each shot a flying "skeet" - Zach and I need some practice!

Can you spot the skeet?

It was a great way to spend time with my boys. "Playing" with a gun is not my favorite thing and will probably end up being something for Dan and I to do together (for a while). It is something different for sure!!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Way to go Yoli! You are so brave and adventurous(sp?)! How fun with you and your guys!

Michael Becerra said...

I love it Yoli! So now can I call you "pistol-packin' momma"?

Love,
Michael

Joyce Becerra said...

Great!!! I have never shot a gun. Maybe someday!!!!!

Julie said...

Great Idea! When we come visit, that is on my list of things I'd like to do!