Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween

Each year at our Elementary school, they have a "Fun Day" the last school day of October. Each year they pick a theme for the kids to dress up as. This year's theme was "StoryBook Character". Of course Drew wanted to dress up, but he wasn't in any hurry deciding what to be. We looked online and found a CUTE Curious George costume, but of course, that was too baby-ish for a 5th grade boy.

So on Thursday, (the day before Fun Day) he decided that he wanted to be a Civil War Union Soldier. He had a picture in a book of what he wanted, so off on the costume quest I went! Believe me, this quest was filled with prayer, because of the last minute and because I was right in the middle of one of my worst RA flares ever! My legs were hurting to say the least. However, I was glad to have a distraction from the pain!!

Here is an authentic Union uniform.
Here is what we came up with!

I found the authentic military hat and belt buckle and they were perfect! Plus the old Boy Scout mess kit with pouch was also PERFECT!! Then found a plain Navy shirt at Target! Hobby Lobby only had FOUR brass buttons, so I did my best with what I could find!
He really needed to carry a rifle, but of course, that is forbidden at school. It was great to see Drew dressed up with all the other kids and it was so fun getting to help him put together what he really wanted. I never in a million years dreamed I would have two boys that love history as much as my boys do. I am sooooooo glad God knows better than me!

2 comments:

Joyce Becerra said...

You did a great job and Drew made a great soldier. Hope you are feeling better. Love You all.

Martha Jones said...

Drew looks awesome! Ya'll did a great job!! Happy Halloween!